Forever. It seems like forever that I’ve tried to define and brand myself, to fit into a nice neat box. But each time, I remember that conventional, nice neat boxes and me don’t get along so well.
Perhaps it’s from growing up with creative, entrepreneurial parents, or having travelled internationally since childhood, or maybe it’s just in my DNA. Regardless, its lead me on a life-long spiritual and creative quest.
Choosing the unconventional route has given me a personal and professional life filled with adventure, intrigue, success, and non-conformity.
DNA. It’s that thing that makes us unique, and brands too. Discovering my client’s DNA and employing it in all of their brand messaging and stories is what I do.
I’m a perpetual storyteller, a writer, a strategist, a problem-solver... an alchemist...
Here’s a joke of sorts, yet also the truth… Put me in front of a packed room where I have to describe what I do, and I freeze. But drop me in a foreign country where I don’t know anyone or speak the language, introduce me to the president, and I’m in my element, communicating with ease, joy, and authenticity.
What lights my fire? Insatiable curiosity.
Giving voice to things that matter, raising awareness, and expanding perspectives is the heart and soul of who I am and what I do.
This is both my personal and professional ‘why.’ I love helping brands with heart, here to do good while also doing well, gain clarity, be heard, be seen, and touch those they are meant to.
For more than 25 years, I've been doing brand development, positioning, storytelling, and messaging for companies, brands, organizations, musicians, filmmakers, events, festivals, and even a country. These have always, and continue to be the first necessary step before any B2B or B2C engagement.
Along the way I:
- Produced an international campaign to introduce western audiences to Angolan Kuduro music and dance for the son of the president of Angola
- Brokered commodities deals in the private sector in Haiti and consulted with the Ministries of Tourism and Environment on how to expand tourism in an environmentally and infrastructure-challenged country
- Learned to negotiate in Haiti, Africa, and Viet Nam
- Produced, did PR for, and competed in the PAPA World Pinball Championships (circa early 1990s - secured over one billion impressions globally)
- Conceived and implemented marketing and communication campaigns for Grammy and Oscar-nominees and winners
- Was one of the first publicists once-upon-a-time to break independent film into the mainstream media
- Was named one of The Hollywood Reporter’s 26 “Power Players” of the New York film industry
- Produced an inauguration weekend extravaganza in Washington, D.C. when President Obama was first elected
- Produced a week-long, 5-borough series of concerts to raise money and awareness for New York City’s public hospitals that culminated with a tribute to George Clinton at the Apollo Theater
- And much more...
I'm an author and passionate storyteller. I contributed a chapter to the soon-to-be-published book, “Step Forward and Shine,” and contributed a chapter to the book, "Pain, Purpose, Passion: That Was Then, This is Now." I have a book publishing deal with The Round House Press and am working on my first memoir. My writing has been published in several magazines and I'm a contributing blogger to Huffington Post, Thrive Global, Identity Magazine, and Yogic Living.
During my early career, I created and implemented national marketing and communications campaigns for major independent film distributors, television networks, and film festivals. A small sampling of the amazing films I helped launch include Sling Blade, Kiss of the Spider Woman, The Trip to Bountiful, Dirty Dancing, Sid and Nancy, Paris is Burning, Brother's Keeper, Spike Lee’s She’s Gotta Have It, and Jim Jarmusch’s Down by Law.
Holistic healing has been part of my life since being a teenager. I’m a certified Kundalini yoga teacher, certified Pilates teacher and certified Shiatsu massage therapist.
Salsa dancing is my passion and when I'm not working or writing, I'm shaking my booty on the dance floor!
I try to live my life by this Yogi Bhajan quote: